Morocco: Ouarzazate (Taourirt Village)

We arrived in Ouarzazate (warzazat) on day 7 late in the afternoon. My first impression of this desert city from the drive into the city was that it was a quiet sleepy town, even though I knew that this city is considered the Hollywood of Morocco. Ouarzazate's strange name comes from Berber language meaning "without noise". So appropriately named I thought.

The long drive tired me out. A nagging headache kept me from joining a few people to venture out into "town" just because. While they were out doing some grocery - buying argan oil product - I was locked in the room writing my journal and occasionally looking out the window to the pool area where some tour mates were lounging.

I really would have to tell you about the dinner though. Just like every hotel we stayed where dinner was included, there was a buffet set-up. Unlike buffet restaurants in the US, the selections are fewer in number. However, the best tagine I ever had in Morocco was here in Ibis Hotel in Ourzazate. They make the best lamb tagine. The dish was a big hit with everyone. I may or may not have gone for seconds, *smile*.

Right after breakfast, we checked out of the hotel and our luggage loaded in the bus. We went on a very short bus ride. The distance we covered did not require a bus. We could have easily walked the couple or so blocks. However, I think it was protocol, so be it.

Not far from the hotel as I mentioned we got off the bus and met our local guide. He was a very good guide, like every other local guide we had here, and they were all very knowledgeable. We walked to the Taourirt village, constructed in the 12th century and still inhabited today. Something about stepping into something that's been around for centuries that make the visit ever more enjoyable.

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3471
Mr. Tour Guide

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3462
Written in Berber alphabet.

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3463
Local

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3465
Hammam (Moroccan version of Turkish bath)

2017 04 19_canoneos_5988
Another local

2017 04 19_canoneos_5995
Going into the village

2017 04 19_canoneos_5998
Narrow alleys

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3474
All ours

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3466
Tiles always catch my attention and lens.

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3475
Wonder what's behind these locked doors.

2017 04 19_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_3461
I wish I remember what this was.

OUR WORLD TUESDAY

Comments

  1. Its nice to see people in colourful clothing including the painted door frame and windows. Bland is so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you find kitties everywhere you go! So much to love here -- wonderful color, beautiful tile and buildings and the history, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shots of the village. And that last picture - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only stopped in Ouarzazate for lunch on my way to Merzouga from Taroudant. When I passed the movie studio, there was a collection of men on a corner with shotguns. I asked a local what was going on and he said that it was a shooting class. Bizarre indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/10/at-this-bridge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shots of the city. Hope I get to visit it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment