Road Trip To Vegas: The first of a series


Just before January came to a close, we took a road trip to Las Vegas. It was one of those things that came out of the blue. Actually, it came from a Travelzoo deal. A very good deal for a 3N4D + air for Vegas was as they say too good to pass up. However, scheduling conflict brought by changes in husband's work conference schedule made us opt out of the air deal (although we carry a credit with the airline company)and rescheduled the hotel deal, which meant we had to drive all the way to Vegas. We inquired about getting there via flying ourselves, but the cost was prohibitive and it defeated the purpose of getting this vacation as a steal of a deal.

Late January was a beautiful time for a road trip anyway, not considering the very mild winter California was having. From our house it was 600+ miles, more or less 10 hours of straight driving and not encountering any traffic jams at all. Normally, I don't want to drive. My ideal road trip is me enjoying the ride and the sights from the passenger seat, but it was going to be a very long drive so I volunteered to take the first (albeit shorter) shift. In addition, I'm quite familiar with the road so driving it won't stress me so much. I drove the first 3.5-4 hours until we stopped for a bite and filled up our little hybrid, I believe in a little town called Tehachapi (324 miles away).

A few road shots from the beginning of the road trip.

IMG_3316
Husband urged me to photograph this tour bus, might be useful someday.

My apologies for the dirt and the shakiness, you know I was drive by shooting.

IMGP4841

IMGP4842

I am enamored with roads and I cannot help but click.

IMGP4843

IMGP4844

IMGP4846

IMGP4857

IMGP4876

IMGP4896
This is at Boron, California, home to borax mine.

IMGP4897

IMGP4922
Passed by Calico, California, a ghost town and former mining town.

IMGP4969
Dark has fully engulfed Sin City when we arrived.

IMGP4978
Boy was I glad to see the colorful turrets of what I would call home for the next 3 nights.

MY WORLD


Comments

  1. Some great desert landscapes in the series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love road pictures!
    What a beautiful landscapes. Your road trip to Las Vegas looks amazing!

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my post about my dearest Flora. Yes, it is very comforting and consoling to have all these memmories with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun trip but long driving I bet ~ Great photos ~ for OWT ~ thanks, ^_^

    I remember driving by those windmills and now Cape Ann MA has their own ~ who'd thunk it!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots from your road trip. I love the landscapes with the mountains that stretch on and on.

    To answer your question, there didn't use to be deer in my subdivision (or at least not for a long time) but as more and more subdivisions are being built and there are less rural and forested areas near here, the deer are turning up more in the woods beside the creeks which feed into the lake where I walk in my subdivision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the different perspective on Californian countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegas is a fun place to visit once in a while. The drive there from Colorado is spectacular in places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many interesting na changing scenes along your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely scenery on the way there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We drove twice to Utah, passing Las Vegas, which was for us (coming from S. CA) about 2 1/2 hrs. Sorry you had to drive so many hours:( Your pics are a reminder of the nice views we had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite drive and shoot, you got some great photos of the wilderness type landscape. That huge windfarm must create a substantial amount of natural energy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your shots of the road! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here commenting today as an Our World Tuesday participant, enjoyed the road trip, the wind farm is an enormous one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The series of drive-by road shots gives us a good idea of what your long drive felt and looked like. An enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and I get along just fine, Maria, in how we see and plan trips. HA! And your road pics remind me of Astrid when we're in America, because she loves taking pics of everything she sees while we're in the car. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving your life! What an amazing landscape! Looks like you had fun even before the fun started.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great views of the highway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You drove by my old stomping grounds where I grew up. Pretty isolated, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent landscapes.
    http://randomtrips.in/

    ReplyDelete
  19. windmills = Love! ^0^
    highways = Love! ^-^
    i could never get tired reviewing these photos. ^*^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment