Lisbon: Day Trip To Pena Palace in Sintra


From the parking lot alone, I could tell this was going to be a very crowded place. And it was. From the time we were going in, it was like one entering Disneyland. It was that crowded. In the grounds we were passed off to another tour guide who will conduct the tour of the palace with us.

It was really difficult to listen and learn about the palace because there's hardly any elbow room, and there's so much to see, I got distracted so quickly. Each group (and there's unending stream of us) explores the room while the others wait their turn, still it feels too crowded. I made the mistake of moving forward but I was told to return to my group and never leave their side.

The palace is a statement of opulence and this being Portugal, there's many opportunities to enjoy the azulejos too. This is what Wikipedia says about the Pena Palace.

2017 04 25_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_2676

2017 04 25_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_2672

2017 04 25_canoneos_4673

2017 04 25_canoneos_4750

2017 04 25_canoneos_4694

20170425_161535

2017 04 25_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_2691

2017 04 25_canoneos_4710

2017 04 25_canoneos_4708

IMG_20170425_155118

20170425_153640

IMG_20170425_155515

2017 04 25_canoneos_4729

2017 04 25_canoneos_4723

20170425_155611

2017 04 25_canonpwsmoroccolisbon_2705

The Pena Palace is worth a second visit - in the off season if possible - although this is one highly recommended sight outside of Lisbon and may not have an off season in the truest sense of the word. Still, I long to be able to walk through the rooms without craning a neck or waiting for someone to move away. Or linger to admire a certain artwork. It is truly worth visiting and I highly recommend it to anybody listening.

OUR WORLD TUESDAY

Comments

  1. Despite the crowds you managed to get some fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a stunning and colorful palace Maria and I'm amazed you got such lovely pictures in such crowded conditions. Bill always acts like he's surprised when we go on any kind of tour to find out that there are lots of other people who want to see the same thing we do. (I gave him such a hard time the first time it happened, that now he does his surprise act on purpose! ) But wouldn't it be nice to get a private tour of these kind of attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to visit this place forever. I know this place is popular but for some reason you do not think about the crowds in popular places until you are there. I hope to visit in the "off season." But, like you mentioned, some places in Europe do not have an off season anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful palace and you managed to get some fantastic photos. I can understand you about the crowds because I really detest being in a crowd of wall to wall people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a stunning place. You have to get there really early or just before closing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bright an colorful exterior! And its so grand inside. Thank you for taking me inside Pena Palace, M. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for telling me about the chocolate festival at Ghirardelli Square. I'll keep that in mind. :)

      Delete
  7. What an opulent place. I could see Disneyland trying to model an attraction after this palace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly Awesome palace. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very unique and interesting place - great shots!
    Thank you for joining us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-beautiful-biltmore-estate.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parts of what I see here, Maria, reminded me of Gaudi's architectural wonders in Barcelona. Very interesting, in spite of the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous place and wonderful photography!

    Happy Days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment