Canary Islands Cruise


After a fantastic day touring Malaga, we returned back to the boat fully expecting a restful evening and night before exploring Alicante the next day. I was incredibly excited to see Alicante for the first time. But we hit bad stormy weather that night. It made the boat rocked real bad. I have never experienced worse cruise experience than this. I very rarely get sea sick and I didn’t, but I almost did. My friend, however, was hit very hard by motion sickness. You know that it’s bad when barf bags are present everywhere around the ship.

The following day, we woke up early, not showing signs of the effects of last night’s inclement weather. At breakfast, everyone seemed to be in good spirits and ready to face a full day of exploring. Looking out of the window we can see it was overcast and someone noticed the wavelets mean there’s a storm nearby. Sometime during breakfast, an announcement came over the PA system that the captain is skipping Alicante due to weather-related reasons. At first it was very disappointing because we can see from the window that there was no reason for the cancellation of the port day; only later on did we realize that scratching the port day was merited as we felt the boat rocking again and that skipping the port was done to make sure we were sailing at a moderate speed so the boat does not rock too much, and so that we could arrive in Barcelona on time and safely.

Still it was a disappointment on my part. It was the chance to finally see Alicante, but it was not meant to be.

The day we spent lounging and chatting and eating - what else is there to do. Sometime during the day we managed to pack and get ready to return to Barcelona.

This was a 12-day cruise of the Canary Islands via Norwegian Cruise Line (my preferred choice).

Here are some photos we took while on-board the ship.

PORT SHOTS

2019 01 18_canoneos_8174

IMG_1357

IMG_20190120_165056081

IMG_20190118_191738311_HDR


SUNSET SCENES


IMG_0673

2019 01 21_canoneos_8061

2019 01 21_canoneos_8058

IMG_1330

FOOD

IMG_0522

IMG_0525

IMG_20190114_211538910

IMG_20190118_222013556

IMG_20190115_205911601

MISCELLANY

IMG_20190122_202841893

IMG_20190114_221356117_edited-1

IMG_0706

IMG_0500

IMG_0557

IMG_20190122_202841893

IMG_1551
Us on the supposedly Alicante port day with our new friends, a couple from Malaysia.

Cruise was from January 13-24, 2019.

The quarantine has made me miss traveling and cruising more than I anticipated. Yes, I will cruise again, if given the chance. I will not say no to it. In fact there’s a few routes that I’m very eager to take.

Comments

  1. Hello,

    Beautiful rainbow and sky images. I love the cute towel critter.. I miss traveling too. Great photos from your trip! Take care! Enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos of the Canary Islands! I've also been there before! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shots! Miss travelling too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glorious sunset captures! A shame about the missed Alicante opportunity, but it otherwise seems your cruise went well with new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fantastic cruise. Your rainbow photo took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, incredible photos, great sights to see, love the food. Great sunsets, I think those drilling ships are going to be docked indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Always love your photoss!
    I hope you are save and well!

    In my country the pandemic is very bad.
    Fortunately I live in a small town, about 80 thousand inhabitants so we have few cases of infected to and few deads, fortunately.

    Sending to you lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry! I mean "I hope you are safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame you didn't get to explore the land and sorry your friend wasn't well, I'm one of those people who don't get sea sick unless it's really choppy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someday you’ll go back to Alicante I’m sure. This Covid thing can’t last forever. ... I happened on your other blog today by chance and I wondered what Buster and Emma do when you two go cruising?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment