BAY TO BREAKERS 2008 (5/18/08)

Bay To Breakers is a footrace/marathon the city of SF holds each year. It started in 1912 as a way to lift the people's spirits after the devastating 1906 earthquake. This year marked its 97th year of staging. You can read all about it on wiki or here.

This series is a departure from my usual landscape/macro postings. This will be the first time that I covered an event. I will just share with you my observations about the event.

On the route is the Conservatory of Flowers, seen above. The event is a family affair as kids come with their parents.

Runners/walkers pass McLaren Lodge inside Golden Gate Park.

While there are legit/serious runners in the competition, more people know B2B for the many people who participate and just walk the 7.5-mile route, some in very elaborate costumes interpreting their favorite movies, tv shows or characters (will post these later). A lot more people like me who came to watch walk alongside these "registered" participants (yes Mayor Gavin, next time I go I will register) on the sidewalk while enjoying the sights of people having a lot of fun. It was a party out there and at such an early time.

The footrace starts at Embarcadero (bay) and ends in Giant Highway by Ocean beach (breakers).
My hubby and I have always wanted to participate, well at least watch for years. But each year, we get too busy to mark our calendars and we end up missing it. This year, I made sure we save the date and turn in early Saturday night so we can drive to the city. As expected a lot of streets along the route have been closed for motorists and with the help of Yahoo Answers I found out the best place to watch the event is at the Panhandle.
We parked the car at a McDonald's some 1.5 to 2 blocks away from the entry to GG Park (yeah we got a ticket, darn I lost $40 right there), walked two blocks. Took a few shots on the corner of Oak and Stanyan, then joined the participants and walked the rest of the route, which I believe is 3.5 miles to go (we walked the same route to collect the car, so that day I walked for 7 miles, my personal record, yay!).
There will be more to follow. Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. looks like a lot of people showed up for the race! very nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pictures of this marathon, good for fun and health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots. I need to drive around San Francisco the next time I'm there. There are a lot of places to see but unfortunately for me, too little time to see and enjoy them all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots. It's wonderful that you took part of this event. Sorry about the ticket but I'm sure you still felt great at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems to be a fun way to spend some time with the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. many participants, eh? looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire people who race - because I can't.

    Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments.

    joy
    A Pinay In England
    Your Love Coach
    I, Woman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment