Jeronimos Monastery: UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Near the Belem Tower stands another UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Jeronimos Monastery. It's been said that the monastery is the most notable symbol of Portugal's power and wealth during the Age of Discovery. Built in 1502 by King Manuel 1 to commemorate Vasco Da Gama's voyage and in thanksgiving to Mother Mary for its success. Tombs of Vasco da Gama and poet Luis de Camoes are placed inside the monastery. Other prominent figures in Portuguese history are also entombed here like King Manuel and King Sebastiao.

The monastery is hug. It seemed to me like it covered a whole city block. Writing this post 1.5 years after the visit, many of the details are blurry now. Thankfully, I took a lot of photos.

IMGP3295

2014_10_5 473

2014_10_5 477

2014_10_5 485

IMGP3364

IMGP3374

IMGP3357

2014_10_5 497

2014_10_5 492

2014_10_5 488

IMGP3401

IMGP3385

IMGP3419

2014_10_5 493

IMGP3384

2014_10_5 503

2014_10_5 502

2014_10_5 506

2014_10_5 505

There is an area that required admission fee. I'm guessing the fee was for the cloisters. I cannot recollect now why we didn't go and see the cloisters.

SKYWATCH
is a weekly gathering of the sky lovers and sky watchers. Join us.

Comments

  1. Magnificent. Such a massively beautiful structure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you've been inspired! Good luck with your trip plans and finding the parade of giants. I have not heard of it. We only spent two days in Cordoba bc for us that was plenty. Where I would spend more time is Seville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a beautiful church! Gorgeous details inside and out. Lovely collection of photos. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing captures of the building facade and interior.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Alexander
    Alex's World! - http://alex.kakinan.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reminded of my trip. You got good captures of interiors. I remember it was dark inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that structure is elaborate and the decorations ornate. I learned something new today because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - it is beautiful! amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I look at such a monastery, Maria, I just stand there and stare. How did such a place become so different from what I always expected/assumed a monastery to be...humble, down-to-earth, relatable, etc.? Still, I'd want to see it, like a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is amazing how they managed to create buildings like this. Don´t think it would be possible today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The word portuguese caught my eye lol, my mum's father's family were Spanish Portuguese so I like seeing photos like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive details in these classic and very old buildings. Excellent series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing place. The event in the plaza on my blog wasn't private; it's a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. I love visiting cathedrals, churches, monasteries - they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful monastery. I love the details you shot of the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could spend all day there! Love the details you caught on the ceiling and the frescoes. Beautiful architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could never remember anything I did last week, what more 1.5 years later. Lol. Beautiful photos as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment