Ireland: Day 5 (Galway), part 1


Day 5 is our full day in Galway and we intended to spend it in the city center and Quay Street/Latin Quarter. With the help of the front desk clerk at the hotel who told us about the all-day parking next to the cathedral for 4 euros only, we were able to maximize our time.

Since we are parked next to the cathedral, it's only reasonable that we visit it first. More than the curiosity of the interiors, I was glad to go inside because the weather was frosty and blustery and a few steps into the cathedral, the sky dumped some liquid sunshine. It was time to go and see the interiors of the cathedral, officially known as Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St Nicholas.

IMG_20180116_054548898

2018 01 16_canonpws_0296

2018 01 16_canoneos_0812

2018 01 16_canonpws_0307

2018 01 16_canonpws_0306

2018 01 16_canonpws_0326

IMG_20180116_052622039

The cathedral interiors is incredible architecturally; but I found it warm and cozy as well. The blue dome is a sight to behold. I can stay here a long time, but we have to see as much as we could with the little time we have in this lovely city. Thus, the minute the rain stopped, we left. The plan was to walk all the way to Latin Quarter and spend the day there, browsing at shops and possibly doing some eating and shopping as well.

Across the street from the cathedral, there is a curious sculpture called Equality Emerging. Worth taking a couple of shots from different angles.

2018 01 16_canonpws_0337

2018 01 16_canonpws_0339

Past the small bridge, we opted to take the longer way, more towards the Eyre Square. The day was the chilly, but the sightseeing and the walking was good - did not warm us up though.

2018 01 16_canonpws_0357



Along the way, we passed by another church, and naturally we wanted to see the insides.

2018 01 16_canonpws_0348
Unfortunately, I did not make a note of the name of the church.

At the end of the road was Eyre Square. A peculiar structure is displayed. It is the historic Browne family mansion doorway (1627).

2018 01 16_canonpws_0360

2018 01 16_canonpws_0361

2018 01 16_canonpws_0362
The doorway and the Quincentennial Fountain.

2018 01 16_canonpws_0365
There are other sculptures around, but I was getting too cold, all I wanted was to cross the length of the square to the Eyre Square Centre, which is a huge shopping mall. I believe it is the largest in the city.

To keep warm, we walked around, like many - the mall was popular on a chilly day - and stopped for coffee. Afterwards we explored the stores inside the mall and saw this sign. I wish I was cooking here.

2018 01 16_canonpws_0366

....to be continued......

OUR WORLD TUESDAY



Comments

  1. What an adventure you had, and it was the worst kind of cold for me. The cold day that is sunny. I love the cathedral and church interiors. I admire your intrepidness in exploring as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't say if you sampled a Guiness? I enjoyed the very evocative photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, beautiful cathedral. I like the sculptures. Wonderful images from your trip! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a beautiful cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great images. The stain glass is stunning as is the eye on the wall and the statue escaping from the slab of stone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots and such wonderful church interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what a beautiful cathedral and sculptures too. thanks for the tour.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the church interiors and the sculptures. It seems you like strolling around when you get to the new cities. I like doing that too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment