NV/AZ/UT Roadtrip: On The Road to Capitol Reef NP

Day 3 of the road trip started in Panguitch, Utah and around mid morning we checked out of the hotel and took to the road. The first part of the drive was pretty scenic, although the weather was on the cloudy side and a bit of a drizzle here and there. I remember feeling so full and content that morning as I enjoyed the passing scenery. I could get used to seeing this landscape. 2019 05 27_canoneos_0471 2019 05 27_canoneos_0474 2019 05 27_canoneos_0476 These sights make me question whether I may be more of mountain person than a beach person. 2019 05 27_pentax_9523 2019 05 27_canoneos_0477 The drizzle turned to heavy rain and eventually turned into a full-blown white out blizzard conditions by the time we reached Highway 24. Both of us got nervous about pushing through, you know, us born and raised in the Tropics and now living in California don't know how to deal with driving in snow. Hard to get phone coverage too but we managed to check road condition to make sure that no closures were reported due to the heavy snowfall. True enough, no road closures reported. For a long time on Highway 24, we have a car ahead of us, so in some little way I felt consoled just in case we get car trouble or something, there might be help available. But eventually that car took a turn and for a long stretch it was just us on the road. Pretty scary for us. At this point we were in a quandary: should we go on and risk driving through rougher weather or drive back to Panguitch and play it by ear or something. Except that there simply was just one logical choice, move forward and continue to Capitol Reef, because our hotel for the night is close to the national park and we have got to be there today. 2019 05 27_pentax_9531_edited-1 IMG_2711 2019 05 27_canoneos_0487 2019 05 27_canoneos_0496 2019 05 27_canoneos_0499 2019 05 27_canoneos_0504 2019 05 27_canoneos_0500 2019 05 27_canoneos_0507 This was one of the most memorable and scary drives we have experienced. Even scared you see I was still in my photographer mode and these were drive by shots too.


Comments

  1. I can only imagine how scary it was...but, all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ride, except for the last part. Glad you made it through okay.

    I was born and raised in the mountain west and consider myself a mountain person but I tell you I love the beaches as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have been scared too. We get snow so infrequently that I have not seeen a whiteout for 40 or more years. Good to see you got through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    The scenery and photos are beautiful. I can imagine that was a scary drive. I do not like driving in the snow, I have slid off the road before. I am happy you arrived safely. Take care, enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be both! I love both the beach and the mountains. Except the latter not in bad winter like that! You were very calm being able to keep on taking those wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome wintry photos and great road perspective shots too !

    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks so beautiful. I wouldn't enjoy driving in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you guys made it out of there, safely. We can imagine how tough it might have been. You brought back some great pictures and some interesting memories as well. :)

    Hope you are staying safe. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment