Cancun, 2021

After 21 months of being cooped up, we bravely took to flying again in December of 2021. The destination? Good, old, reliable Cancun. Why Cancun? First, with Cancun we know we will be doing things outdoors - an important factor in the choice since at the time of travel we were just coming off of the Delta or was it Omicron, well one of them. Second, we were traveling with friends and they were very eager to see Cancun for the first time with us as their guides. They are just starting to venture out of the US so they needed assurances that they don’t get lost, among other things, so joining us was imperative. And third, we had some issues to iron out about our timeshare that we wanted to do in person.

We also selected to stay here because it’s right smack in the middle of all the activities - nightclubs, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc - and the beach is incredible, perfect for first-timers.

The first time I rode a plane after Covid made me a nervous wreck. Although I was fully aware of all the precautionary measures that were installed by the airline industry to keep the passengers safe and secure from the virus, I couldn’t help but be very anxious. It’s a different feeling.

While the plane ride was not so bad, the same can’t be said of my Cancun airport experience. The entire room of the Immigration area was jam packed with people. If you are familiar with the arrival area and the Immigration area, people were on the escalator waiting for a little movement from the ones already on the floor queueing to go through Immigration. We stayed there packed like sardines for over an hour. I was scared to death, and there were people who were not wearing masks in this indoor wall-to-wall people situation. I could not believe my eyes! I wanted so very much to run out of there. My fear of getting the virus almost made me unable to breathe through the mask. It’s psychosomatic I know. However, despite the trepidations about zero social distancing, we were able to chit chat with other people standing in line with us. And eventually, the line moved at a snail’s pace and we got out of there and into the duty free shops, which we passed on the way out.

Outside we stayed to wait for our friends who were flying in from LA. To add to this day’s excitement, there was plenty of waiting and a whole lotta miscommunication. We eventually met up with our friends at the car rental lot. I suppose all’s well that ends well.

We stayed in Krystal right smack in the heart of Hotel Zone. Here are photos from the resort.

PXL_20211203_143028222

PXL_20211204_212737494

PXL_20211204_230938842

PXL_20211205_122459414

PXL_20211204_221158788

PXL_20211204_221124821

PXL_20211204_223655325

PXL_20211204_223955317

PXL_20211204_224000060

PXL_20211204_223905941

PXL_20211204_224201802

PXL_20211204_223412242

The trip was from Dec 2-5 and a brief long-weekend type of a breather. It was like dipping our toes in the water to test if the water is cold, so to speak. There's another post about Cancun coming up.

Comments

  1. What a stunning location. The sand looks like crushed pearls in some shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...beautiful, but I'm not ready to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, we haven't flown since this "whole mess" started but I'm wanting to go to Cancun now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly Amazing , Great pics.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you and friends chose Cancun. Its a beautiful place with beautiful beach. No flying for the time being. Will focus on local tours when the figures drops further and depending on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures to offset your scary airport experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are beautiful! I love Mexico but I like getting there via a cruise ship. I LOVE the water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! My favorite are beach photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful beach, but wow the trauma of getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never visited Cancun but I can see from your photos why it is a favorite vacation spot! I feel the same about the covid virus--I want to venture out again without fear but I'm still worried about getting ill from it. I hope the next wave of infection won't be bad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment