Memorial Day 2023

We did not travel for this Memorial Day weekend and so we chose to do day trips nearby, visiting gardens. On Sunday, I had a thought. Why not go see the National Cemetery in the Presidio of San Francisco. It's one of the spots within the Presidio that we have not visited yet. And since it's the Memorial Day weekend, why not do it now?

So we did. It's also to honor my departed father who was an Army vet, although I just found out that Memorial Day is actually in honor of those who died in service for the country. My father did not die in service, but I thought everyone that enlisted should be honored.

According to my research, Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day, due to the fact that the graves are decorated with flowers, flags, wreaths, etc. This is where I got the information.

Here are the photos we took on Sunday, a cold, windy day - typical San Francisco weather, methinks.

Comments

  1. I think Memorial Day should honor all veterans, although it was originally a holiday to honor those who died in service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something so somber and striking about a military cemetery. May God bless those who sacrificed for us on the battlefield and the families left behind.
    Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/05/on-retreat.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all driven this way several times, no? Thank you for making a stop and taking us there. That was a really nice way to observe Memorial Day/ spend this particular long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memorial Day is a day of honor and respect. Thank you for sharing these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stirring reflections and images. When I was a kid in the 1940s we decorated the spokes of our bikes with red white and blue crepe paper ribbons to join the "Decoration Day" parade, which started early, about 10 AM to leave lots of time for afternoon cookouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of a sacred site. I think Memorial Day is for whoever wants to celebrate in their own way. Many of the vets tell me that it is not for them, it is for vets who have passed away. The living vets tell me that Veterans Day is their day.
    Many people honor their dead family members and close friends and I see nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Significant images, beautiful post.
    Many greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and photos for Memorial Day ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment