Safari West in Wine Country

For my husband's birthday this year, which happened to be the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, I decided to take him to Safari West to have a different experience. Not too long ago we were talking about how long ago it had been since we last visited a zoo. We were so curious as to any improvements in San Francisco Zoo, so we planned on going there soon. This was not the zoo, but it's the same thing - spending a day with the animals.

Safari West is a wildlife sanctuary in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) right in the wine country. The sanctuary is on a 400-acre rolling hills at the foot of the Mayacamas Mountains. The mission of Safari West is "to actively promote conservation and environmental education while imparting knowledge that helps each individual make well-informed choices in regard to the environment and wildlife conservation. At Safari West it’s all about the animals. Always has been, always will be."

One can stay the night in one of their "tents" and there are other packages/activities they offer, but for us we just chose to spend the day with a jeep safari tour, which included a walking tour and a jeep tour around the property to see the wildlife.

Let me tell you that this was simply a wonderful experience. And my husband thoroughly enjoyed his birthday present. To be perfectly honest, I think I had more fun than he did.

Allow me to show you photos from the day at Safari West.

The first part of the tour was a walking tour around the perimeter of the entrance to the park.

PXL_20231128_182822447 (1)

Caracal - medium-sized cat. 12-year life span in the wild, up to 20 under human care.

PXL_20231128_183230138

Fennec Fox - world's smallest naturally occuring canid species (canidae). Way too cute.

PXL_20231128_181552797

De Brazza's monkey - they store food in their cheek pouches like squirrels and chipmunks.

PXL_20231128_182101916

Patas monkey - we enjoyed watching the small family of three.

IMG_2544

Striped hyena - if you think they are cute (I do! I do!) you are not wrong, because they are arguably the most beautiful member of the Hyaenidae family.

My favorite part of the walking tour is going inside the bird enclosure. Who knew I enjoyed looking at birds and fowls so much.

PXL_20231128_185114688

The scarlet ibis is quite eye-catching.

PXL_20231128_213011204

A couple of crowned blue pigeons seemed unbothered by all the attention.

PXL_20231128_185230102

The roseate spoonbill has been my favorite bird since the first time I laid eyes on it some 10 years ago. These pink color in these birds are washed out, unlike their counterparts from Costa Rica - must be something to do with the environment.

Across the enclosure, three kinds of flamingoes offer a dazzling background to visitors' selfies.

PXL_20231128_185954684

After a brief snack break, we continued the tour with a jeep safari. I've seen photos of these online and jeeps were always full. However, due to this being a Tuesday, our jeep only comprised of 6 adults and 1 child. And four of us chose to ride on top for a better view.

IMG_2570

Birthday boy is all smiles.

PXL_20231128_194804529

Addax

PXL_20231128_201048405

Can't remember if these are antelopes or something else.

PXL_20231128_195802832

Papa, mama and baby rhino.

PXL_20231128_194527908

Most satisfying watch for me. There's something in the wood that they find appetizing.

PXL_20231128_202139175

Zebra crossing

PXL_20231128_182459992

I almost forgot the cheetah. What a sleek animal, so beautiful. They don't have tigers, elephants, or lions; although my boss told me that when her son was little they saw elephants there.

I have more photos on my Flick'r album, if you are interested to see more.

I will try to continue with the Israel documentation. It's been quite difficult to concentrate on writing about the trip that seemed so long ago and given the sentiments and mood around the world it's a challenge.

If you live nearby and would like to visit, we booked our tour here.

Comments

  1. I like wildlife sanctuaries better than zoos. They seem more humane for the animals. There's a nice one in San Diego county. The close up of the cheetah is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meine Begeisterung für diese tollen Aufnahmen ist groß!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...it's great to see these animals, but I've always had a problem with cages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of the animal and birds ~ don't like Zoos and caged animals though,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would enjoy visiting this place. All those beautiful animals. Happy late Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beautiful caracal photo - amazing face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a great place to visit with all the different animals and they have a bigger place to live than your typical zoo. I love your bird enclosure. This makes me miss our local zoo. I hadn't been there in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some beautiful pictures, especially the birds. That's where I would have headed right away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment