Germany: A Day In Rudesheim Am Rhein
Rüdesheim am Rhein is a picturesque winemaking town in Germany’s Rhine Gorge. Famous for its world-class Riesling, fairy-tale vineyards, and lively medieval charm, it sits on the east bank of the Rhine River and is a key part of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley UNESCO World Heritage Site.
After the sightseeing cruise of the Rhine, we went back to Rüdesheim to explore this charming town.
I was so confused when one of the vineyard has this name. Being a Psych major in college, Carl Jung was a familiar sound. Turned out, it's not the same guy. Whew!
Carl Jung estate/winery.
Once the entire group got off the tour bus, we walked towards the St. Jakobus Church to get final instructions from the Tour Manager about time and place to meet up. We were given 2 hours to explore this charming medieval town and grab lunch before the scheduled wine tasting that afternoon.
Workers were busy setting up for the upcoming Christmas Market.
The St. Jakobus Church is a historic Catholic church that is primarily constructed from local sandstone. With the backdrop of a dreary sky, the church facade looked washed out. It looked pretty old. Well, it is old. It dates back to the 10th century, expanded around 1400 and then again 1913/14. After being severely damaged during the world war it was rebuilt. It’s among the listed historic monuments and serves as a concert venue.
Interior
Afterwards we meandered through the cobblestone streets, soaking in the beauty.
My husband made friends with the local felines. He's a cat whisperer and I'm so jealous. The cats here didn't want anything to do with me.
I found a sweet little house that is so pretty and asked the owner who was tending her flowers if I could take a photo on her steps. She said yes and asked me to return the next day when she's done decorating the house for Christmas.
My friend and I kept taking photos.
The husband stumbled upon this wine shop while the rest of us were reading menus on restaurant windows.
He couldn't pass up some wine tasting. I sipped a little bit.
Window shopping and actual souvenir shopping.
Looks like a fun way to explore the town.
The gelato shop near this building is the meeting place for the afternoon activity. It seemed like the group had gelatos for lunch.
We sat for wine-tasting at Georg Breuer.
The vineyards along the Rhine.
On the drive back to the hotel, the sun started to set.
I was so confused when one of the vineyard has this name. Being a Psych major in college, Carl Jung was a familiar sound. Turned out, it's not the same guy. Whew!
Carl Jung estate/winery.
Once the entire group got off the tour bus, we walked towards the St. Jakobus Church to get final instructions from the Tour Manager about time and place to meet up. We were given 2 hours to explore this charming medieval town and grab lunch before the scheduled wine tasting that afternoon.
Workers were busy setting up for the upcoming Christmas Market.
The St. Jakobus Church is a historic Catholic church that is primarily constructed from local sandstone. With the backdrop of a dreary sky, the church facade looked washed out. It looked pretty old. Well, it is old. It dates back to the 10th century, expanded around 1400 and then again 1913/14. After being severely damaged during the world war it was rebuilt. It’s among the listed historic monuments and serves as a concert venue.
Interior
Afterwards we meandered through the cobblestone streets, soaking in the beauty.
My husband made friends with the local felines. He's a cat whisperer and I'm so jealous. The cats here didn't want anything to do with me.
I found a sweet little house that is so pretty and asked the owner who was tending her flowers if I could take a photo on her steps. She said yes and asked me to return the next day when she's done decorating the house for Christmas.
My friend and I kept taking photos.
The husband stumbled upon this wine shop while the rest of us were reading menus on restaurant windows.
He couldn't pass up some wine tasting. I sipped a little bit.
Window shopping and actual souvenir shopping.
Looks like a fun way to explore the town.
The gelato shop near this building is the meeting place for the afternoon activity. It seemed like the group had gelatos for lunch.
We sat for wine-tasting at Georg Breuer.
The vineyards along the Rhine.
On the drive back to the hotel, the sun started to set.
Comments
Post a Comment