Strasbourg, France: Day 2, part 2

So we continued with the walking tour. Leaving Place Broglie, we continued walking until we reached this part. Impressive buildings before my eyes. The one on the right, partly hidden, has orange Advent windows on the facade.

PXL_20251115_082057452

IMG_8599

Of course it's an Hermes store and nope, we didn't stop to peer at the store window.

PXL_20251115_082535688

This incredible 18th century building that houses a patisserie (Christian) is one of my favorites from this trip. It features a striking trompe-l'œil facade, which means an artistic building exterior that uses realistic perspective and shading to trick the eye into seeing 3D architectural features—like windows, balconies, or open doors—that are actually flat. While many of my tour mates were elbowing each other looking into the mouth-watering window displays, I waited everyone out to photograph the building.

PXL_20251115_084521760-EDIT

Train runs through it.

PXL_20251115_084536524

IMG_8604

Another set up for Christmas Market. This one's not too far from the Place Broglie. It seems like every square has a Christmas Market.

The Petite France area is simply incredible. Charming architecture, shops and eateries next to each other. The shops even made the parade of tourists (there were so many of us from different tour groups jamming the narrow alley) even more fun when plates of samples were offered to us out on the streets. It was such a cool experience. It was so difficult to focus on one thing, e.g. architecture when there’s so many things to see. I know I was grinning from ear to ear like an idiot at that time, but I don’t care. This is what I dreamed about. I love old towns and cobblestone streets and charming architecture. Strasbourg has them all.

IMG_8611

PXL_20251115_085332567-EDIT

PXL_20251115_085432678

PXL_20251115_085508818-EDIT

PXL_20251115_085511693-EDIT

PXL_20251115_085759654~2

IMG_8617

IMG_8619

PXL_20251115_091616356

We reached the Cathedral of Notre Dame Strasbourg.

PXL_20251115_092047915

PXL_20251114_142643083

PXL_20251115_093724622

The astronomical clock. The video clip we took of the astronomical clock's daily procession of the Apostles and the crowing of the rooster was somehow unplayable. The format did not match, or something like that. What a pity.

The guided portion of the Strasbourg tour ended with this visit to the cathedral. Afterwards we were given 2 hours of "free" time for lunch, shopping, or whatever else we had in mind.

The three of us decided long ago that this free time would be reserved for an Ill river cruise. Apparently, they have an hour-long cruise around Strasbourg.

On the walk to the boat station, I continued to take photos.

IMG_8634

PXL_20251115_095914372~2

PXL_20251115_100000974

PXL_20251115_100156202-EDIT

And we reached the river bank.

PXL_20251115_100159652-EDIT

PXL_20251115_100251433

Here's one coming in right now.

Comments