Strasbourg, France: Day 2

Day 2 started as a drizzly, gloomy day. We drove from our hotel to the edge of Old Town where we were meeting our local guide who will lead us in our exploration of the Old Town.

We were dropped off near the Jardin de la Place de la Republique. Impressive buildings including the Palais du Rhin (Rhine Palace) surround this incredible green space at the edge of Old Town. We went to see the garden that was filled with incredible ginkgo trees. How colorful and gorgeous a setting.

PXL_20251115_074957273-EDIT

Drive by shoot.

PXL_20251115_080150825

Here it is up close the Palais du Rhin (Palace of the Rhine) former Imperial palace.

IMG_8582

Jardin de la Place de la Republique is flanked on all sides by historical buildings including the Palais du Rhin. The garden in the fall features the beautiful ginkgo trees garbed in full gold attire. Looking at the trees made my day brighter.

IMG_8586

PXL_20251115_080627070

I photographed the tour manager by the ginkgo tree because in my eyes at that exact moment I was seeing a quintessential French moment.

IMG_8585

Le Monument aux Morts, or war memorial.

We left the garden and crossed the street to meet the local guide.

PXL_20251115_080800749

I was lagging behind the group because I could not go without admiring and photographing all the beautiful architecture.

PXL_20251115_080850493-EDIT

The city is just waking up.

PXL_20251115_081023556

The husband crossed the street for a closer look at Neptune's Head sculpture.

IMG_8592

The photo he took up close.

We met the local guide by the Opera House on Place Broglie, where workers were busy setting up for the Christmas Market. "La Marseillaise" (French national anthem) was first sung in Strasbourg, France, on April 25, 1792, at the home of the city's mayor, Philippe-Frédéric de Dietrich. I thought this was a cool tidbit.

PXL_20251115_081120381

To give way to the Christmas Market, the beloved three-legged Horse Statue Zieme is being moved to storage. This is a fine read about Zieme's move to Strasbourg.

PXL_20251115_081157465

Monument du Maréchal Leclerc, an obelisk commemorating the city's 1944 liberation on Place Broglie.

IMG_8594

PXL_20251115_081702801~2

Another statue that caught my eye features "Allons Enfant de la Patrie" a line from the French national anthem, which means Let's go child of the Fatherland. This one definitely grabbed my attention.

PXL_20251115_081746119.NIGHT

We passed by the City Hall on the way to Old Town led by the local guide, in red jacket.

I thought it was really nice to see more of Strasbourg outside of the charming Old Town. I will chop this visit up in bite-size pieces. I simply took way too many photos because I had/have FOMO syndrome (j/k - or not!).

Comments