Lucerne, Switzerland: Day 1
We rolled out of Strasbourg around 1:15 pm, and Husband and I immediately dug into our lunch. For some reason, I didn't snap a single drive-by photo during this first stretch—a minor lapse that still mildly annoys me. About two hours later, we pulled into a massive highway stop: the Autogrill service area in Pratteln, Switzerland. The parking lot was enormous, built to handle a dozen buses alongside the usual cars. A steady stream of travelers was heading inside, riding the escalators up to the washrooms. As we split up, Husband asked me to grab him a coffee when I finished. After handling my business, I spotted a souvenir shop and couldn't resist browsing the magnets before heading over to get our drinks.
I was in line at the coffee shop when Dan (tourmate) joined me, looking for a caffeine and pastry fix. When I got to the counter, the barista completely threw me off by asking for my order in Spanish. I stood there blankly for a second, confused as to why I understood him so effortlessly (I was expecting German or broken English). I placed my order in Spanish, prompting Dan to nudge me. He confessed he had no clue I spoke German. "We were speaking Spanish," I chuckled. Just then, Husband walked up and asked if I wanted a pastry with my coffee. I nodded toward the display case; the pistachio cream croissant looked incredible. And it defintely was. The pistachio cream croissant eventually became the best thing I've ever eaten on this trip.
The rest of the drive to Lucerne was delightful with pastoral sceneries that I associate with Switzerland from the many photos I see online and on magazines before. Straight out of the postcard into real life, indeed.
One hour later we were entering Lucerne city and impressive buildings became the sight outside of the bus windows. Oh how gorgeous the buildings are and how wide the streets. Lucerne is definitely impressive.
Home for the next 2 nights.
Guided tours like this one truly suits my style. In my opinion bus rides offer a slow and steady way to see the world. You look out the window at real neighborhoods, quiet back roads, and local life. Fast planes miss these hidden views. Ordinary travelers only see busy airports and tourist spots. Buses show you the true heart of a place.
The rest of the drive to Lucerne was delightful with pastoral sceneries that I associate with Switzerland from the many photos I see online and on magazines before. Straight out of the postcard into real life, indeed.
One hour later we were entering Lucerne city and impressive buildings became the sight outside of the bus windows. Oh how gorgeous the buildings are and how wide the streets. Lucerne is definitely impressive.
Home for the next 2 nights.
Guided tours like this one truly suits my style. In my opinion bus rides offer a slow and steady way to see the world. You look out the window at real neighborhoods, quiet back roads, and local life. Fast planes miss these hidden views. Ordinary travelers only see busy airports and tourist spots. Buses show you the true heart of a place.
Comments
Post a Comment